Notaries are required by law to notify the Corporation Division within thirty (30) days when they have their name legally changed. Filing the name change form will not extend your commission expiration date. It will still expire on the original date. If you have questions regarding changing your name close to the expiration date, please call our office at 503-986-2593.
There are two name change forms:
- 1. If you wish to continue to use your old name until your commission expires, and sign with your old name, complete our free Legal Name Change Form, and deliver to our office.
- You must continue using your current seal, and may NOT purchase a new seal with your new name
- You must continue to sign your notarizations with your official signature already on file with our office (NOT your new signature)
- 2. If you wish to change your Commission name, complete our Commission Name Change Form and deliver to our office with the appropriate fee. Your signature on this form will be your new official signature with our office.
- This will change your commission number by adding a letter prefix
- You will receive new Certificates (Commission and Authorization)
- You will be required to purchase a new official seal with your new name
- You must sign your notarizations with your new official signature